There are lots of web hosting options to choose from. And I’m guessing you’re the kind of person who like’s to research before making a decision. So, that’s why you’re here. The website hosting world is a very broad and deep subject, so I want to make it easy for you by narrowing down this blog post and focusing on just one type: Best Web Hosting For Personal Sites.
Best Web Hosting For Personal Site
Not sure if you can afford it? We’ve included all personal web hosting related costs you need to consider before starting. Spoiler alert: it’s cheap.
|Features||Free SSL, automatic backups, LiteSpeed web server, hPanel|
|Best for||All personal projects on tight budgets in need of good performance|
Hostinger is an easy-to-use, cheap, and affordable shared web hosting provider, ideal for hosting personal websites, starting at just $2.59/mo. Not only that, the affordable pricing is matched with good performance and helpful customer service.
So, what else makes it shine? Some of its key features include:
- Hostinger offers an easy-to-use interface powered by hPanel. From one-click installers for all the most popular apps to security and performance settings, all is intuitive and beginner-friendly.
- The 24/7 live chat is always there to help you in case of a problem. The customer support is very skilled and friendly.
- Performance is excellent as well, thanks to powerful tech. You’ll get to use SSD storage, the latest PHP versions, and fast LiteSpeed Web Server tech with caching already configured. Plus, you can choose a server location from the US, Europe, and Asia locations.
Clearly, Hostinger’s updated tech, with excellent support and ease of use, lets you optimally run personal websites.
You can expect excellent performance from Hostinger thanks to constant upgrades to the servers.
I monitored Hosting for 2 months which showed no issues with reliability. The provider delivered a perfect 100% uptime result. You may not get 100% uptime in the long run, but you can expect the host to meet its 99.9% uptime guarantee.
The response time averaged at 511ms, better than the industry average of 600ms. This makes it not only reliable but also speedy.
Combine the above results with multiple server location choices across the globe, and you have a winner for your target audience.
Altogether, Hostinger is among the top options when it comes to reliable and speedy hosting. To find more about Hostinger’s performance, check out the full Hostinger review.
Hostinger is cheap, with shared plans starting at $2.59/mo and going up to $3.99/mo. Every shared plan comes with an SSL, email accounts, and automatic backups. A free custom domain name is included in Premium and Business plans, too.
- Single ($2.59/mo) – host one website with 30 GG SSD server space and 10k monthly visits
- Premium ($2.59/mo) – host up to 100 websites with 100 GB SSD server space and 25k monthly visits + a free domain.
- Business ($3.99/mo) – host up to 100 websites with 200 GB SSD server space and 100k monthly visits + a free domain, daily backups, and CDN.
In short, these are among the cheapest plans around, and the resources are generous. Also, to test out the services, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a personal website, the Single plan at $2.59/mo is more than enough. However, if you’d like to enjoy a free domain for a year and consider hosting more than one website, Premium offers way better value at just $2.59/mo.
- Easy to use control panel
- Responsive and helpful customer support
- Reliable performance at cheap prices
- Entry plan offers no free domain
- Cheapest prices require 48-month billing
|Features||Automatic WordPress setup, free domain, SSL, website builder|
|Best for||Personal WordPress websites built by beginner users|
Bluehost is a great pick for personal WordPress websites. It’s easy to use and takes care of all of the technicalities, while users get to enjoy good reliability and helpful tools. The prices are also good, starting at $2.95/mo.
The host offers an excellent user experience, thanks to the following features:
- For personal use, you don’t have to worry about any of the technicalities. Upon the first login to your account, a WordPress website with a working domain and SSL will be set up automatically by following a quick wizard.
- The host’s AI-based WordPress website builder further simplifies website building. Here, you generate a website by providing inputs based on questions, which can further be edited using the builder interface. The final result then can be transformed into a full-featured WordPress site.
- If you’re also interested in monetizing your site, tools like SEO help and marketing are built-in for convenience.
In short, Bluehost’s ease of use and numerous helpful features make it a great pick for personal sites creation.
In my 2-months testing of Bluehost, one thing became very obvious: Bluehost offers excellent reliability and performance.
Irrespective of no official uptime guarantee, Bluehost offered 99.99% uptime in my testing, which is very reliable.
With a server response time (time taken by the server to react to the browser’s request) of 361ms, it is among the faster server providers, too.
However, the US-only servers can be performance-restricting. To overcome it, you can always use a content delivery network(CDN), improving the site’s performance for a wider audience. It’s activated in one click from the dashboard easily.
Overall, Bluehost performs above average with good uptime and reliability. Check out the detailed Bluehost review, where I uncover more details about its performance.
Bluehost offers 4 shared hosting plans starting from $2.95/mo and going up to $13.95/mo, with each plan offering access to a free domain(for a year), free SSL certificate, and unmetered bandwidth. Apart from the basic plan, all plans also have unmetered SSD storage.
- Basic ($2.95/mo) – host one website with 50 GB SSD storage.
- Plus ($4.95/mo) – host unlimited websites.
- Choice Plus ($4.95/mo) – additionally, daily backups and domain privacy for a year are included.
- Pro ($13.95/mo) – comes with dedicated IP, domain privacy, daily backups, and more server resources.
These are good prices with good features and added user convenience. Plus, you have 30-day money-back period to see if the hosting service is right for your website.
The Basic plan ($2.95/mo) is a no-brainer choice for starting your personal website. 50GB storage is generous, while all other essentials are included too – a domain, SSL, and email accounts.
- WordPress-centered hosting
- Free SSL certificate and domain
- WordPress-based AI website builder
- US-only servers
- Higher renewal prices
|Features||Free domain, SSL, domain privacy, automatic backups, website builder|
|Best for||Security and privacy-oriented WordPress hosting|
DreamHost is a WordPress-first provider that comes with generous server resources and affordable prices starting at $2.59/mo. It also emphasizes privacy, making it among the best secure web hosting service for personal use.
The key features offered by DreamHost include:
- Intuitive and easy control panel oriented towards beginner users. A WordPress website can be set up in a single click without the need to fill out multiple forms. Meanwhile, all tools and functionalities have explanations and tutorials on how to use them.
- You can also take advantage of a premium WordPress website builder. It makes it easy to build a website without prior development knowledge.
- DreamHost offers inclusive and cheap plans for all billing terms while including strong security features, too. You get a free SSL, automatic backups, domain privacy, and web application firewall even on the cheapest plan.
DreamHost provides clear and straightforward plans that offer inclusive resources, coupled with good security features and WordPress website builder.
DreamHost comes out as a reliable and speedy provider, handling all of my tests perfectly well.
The provider guarantees 100% uptime. But, in reality, that’s not possible, considering that server reboots and maintenance periods are common practices. This puts DreamHost at an almost ideal >99.99% uptime result, with only a single outage.
The server average response time is also excellent, standing at 231ms compared to the 600ms industry standard.
The only downside is that servers are located in the US only, with no possibility to change locations. So it’s the best option if your audience resides in North America as well.
In short, DreamHost is a reliable host with a speedy response time. If you are intrigued about learning more about its performance, you should check out the complete DreamHost review.
DreamHost keeps it simple by offering 2 shared hosting options, Starter($2.59/mo) and Unlimited($3.95/mo). Both plans come with daily backups, free SSL, and free domain. Additionally, each plan offers unlimited bandwidth and free domain privacy.
So, what’s the difference?
- Starter ($2.59/mo) can host only one website on 50GB storage and charges extra ($1.67) for each mailbox.
- Unlimited ($3.95/mo) comes with unlimited storage for unlimited sites and email accounts.
In addition to affordable prices and secure web hosting, you also get a long 97-day refund period for testing the service.
Choose Starter for a small personal website project. It’s affordable on all billing terms. Meanwhile, if you’re looking to monetize, Unlimited includes better resources and a professional email account at still very good prices.
- Great features for WordPress websites
- Strong security and privacy measures
- Affordable on all billing periods
- Live chat not available 24/7
- No email accounts with Starter
|Features||Free domain, SSL, unlimited storage, email accounts, cPanel|
|Best for||No-fuss beginner-friendly hosting|
HostGator is a no-fuss beginner-friendly web hosting with prices starting at $2.75/mo. Despite low pricing, the provider offers everything required to run your personal website, including email accounts, SSL, and a free domain.
The key features that make HostGator the best web host for personal websites:
- HostGator is very easy to use, employing cPanel to do the job. At the same time, you can set up email, SSL, domain, and even do WordPress installation using shortcuts on the dashboard.
- The host’s cheapest plan includes every essential feature such as SSL, domain, and email accounts for creating and managing your personal website.
- You can take advantage of its extensive knowledge base, which also includes video tutorials. Additionally, good customer support is available via 24/7 live chat and phone support.
Simply put, HostGator is well-equipped, affordable, and very user-friendly unlimited host for personal use.
I ran a few months of performance and stability tests to get an objective understanding. I found HostGator to offer excellent stability and good performance in my testing.
HostGator’s 99.99% uptime surprised me, considering that the host gives a standard 99.9% uptime guarantee.
The average response time also didn’t disappoint either, standing at 525 ms average, better than the 600ms market average.
But just like many providers, HostGator’s servers are in the US-only, making it ideal for the North American audiences, but not so much global visitors.
In any case, HostGator servers are responsive and reliable. Still, if you have questions about the performance, check out the full HostGator review.
With shared hosting prices starting at $2.75/mo, HostGator is one of the cheapest hosting services in the market. The host offers 3 hosting plans where each plan comes with access to a free SSL and free domain. Additionally, you get unmetered bandwidth, storage, and email accounts with each plan.
- Hatchling ($2.75/mo) – includes hosting for one personal website.
- Baby ($3.50/mo) – lifts one website limit. You can now host as many websites as you wish.
- Pro ($5.25/mo) – adds SEO tools, dedicated IP, and a Positive SSL upgrade.
Apart from offering affordable and inclusive plans, HostGator also has a prolonged money-back guarantee. You can get a refund for 45 days after the purchase.
best web hosting for small business
These days, having a business website is essential, and there are a variety of tools and platforms that can help you build your online presence. Although certain website builders and e-commerce platforms include hosting as part of their product, in some cases — often if you bought your web address or domain as a standalone product — you’ll need to acquire your own web hosting. If you’re searching for the best web hosting for small businesses, there a number of top options you can choose from.
In this guide, we’ll break down six of the best small-business website hosting companies in terms of both features and cost so that you have all the information you need to find the right hosting platform for your website.
Best hosting sites for small business comparison chart
|Hosting Platform||Price||Hosting Solutions||Bandwidth||Storage||Customer Support|
|Namecheap||Starts at $4.44 per month for 1st year, then $8.88 per month||Shared hosting, WordPress hosting, reseller hosting,VPS hosting, dedicated serves, private email hosting||Unmetered bandwidth||50GB to unlimited based on plan and hosting type||24/7 live chat support|
|Bluehost||Starts at $7.99 per month||Shared hosting, WordPress hosting, VPS hosting, dedicated hosting, reseller hosting||1TB to unmetered bandwidth based on plan and hosting type||30GB to unlimited based on plan and hosting type||24/7 phone and live chat support|
|HostGator||Starts at $5.95 per month||Web hosting, cloud hosting, WordPress hosting, reseller hosting, VPS hosting, dedicated hosting, application hosting, windows hosting, website builder||Unmetered bandwidth||1TB to unmetered based on plan and hosting type||24/7/365 phone and live chat support|
|iPage||Starts at $7.99 per month||Web hosting, VPS hosting, dedicated hosting, WordPress hosting||1TB to unmetered bandwidth based on plan and hosting type||40GB to unlimited based on plan and hosting type||24/7 phone and chat support|
|InMotion||Starts at $10.99 per month||Shared hosting, managed VPS hosting, cloud VPS, dedicated server hosting, enterprise hosting, reseller hosting, WordPress hosting, managed hosting, website creator, domain names, web design services||4TB to unlimited based on plan and hosting type||50GB to unlimited based on plan and hosting type||24/7/365 U.S. based phone, chat, and ticket support|
|Cloudways||Starts at $10 per month||WordPress hosting, WooCommerce hosting, enterprise WordPress hosting, PHP hosting, Laravel hosting, Drupal hosting, Joomla hosting, PrestaShop hosting, ecommerce hosting||1TB to 20TB based on plan||25GB to 3840GB based on plan||24/7/365 online support, option to add premium support|
Best web hosting options for small business
Along with choosing a domain name and designing your site, acquiring web hosting is one of the three major components involved in building your small-business website. Some website builders or e-commerce platforms will include hosting as part of their service, whereas others will require that you find your own web hosting platform.
In essence, as you search for the best hosting site for your small business, you’ll want to remember that although the web hosting company you choose may not change the way your domain name works or how your website looks, it will determine how quickly your site loads, what happens if there’s an unexpected surge in site traffic, and how hacking attempts are thwarted.
With this in mind, let’s break down our list of the best web hosting companies for small-business owners:
1. Namecheap: Best for technical support
If you’re a newcomer to managing your website, the best web hosting for your small business might be the one that provides you with round-the-clock technical support, and is willing to go the extra mile to make sure your site is up and running just the way you want it.
Namecheap goes above and beyond in this department, offering 24/7 support through chat — no question is too big or too small for Namecheap’s team of technical support specialists, who are even willing to step in and make changes for their customers if they don’t have the technical savvy to do it themselves. And as the name implies, their web hosting prices are pretty competitive as well.
There are several Namecheap hosting tiers:
- Stellar Business: Provides unmetered bandwidth so your site never slows down during high-traffic periods. Comes with free automatic backups as well, and is PCI compliant and e-commerce friendly. Costs $4.44 per month for the first year, then goes up to $8.88 per month.
- EasyWP Turbo: Inexpensive hosting for WordPress sites with up to 250,000 visitors per month and 50 gigabytes of storage included. Costs $7.88 per month, with the first month for $2.
- Qasar: Full VPS hosting with Linux-based servers, allowing companies that need a total command of their networks the flexibility to run their digital presence as they see fit. Costs $24.88 per month, with a new signup promotion of $19.88 per month.
- Xeon E3-1240 v3: A physical server solution for businesses that need to go the extra mile for their websites and digital environments. Costs $74.88 per month, with the first month for $36.88.
2. Bluehost: Best for beginners
Bluehost is a perennial favorite for personal and business web hosting because of how easy it is to set up and use the company’s services. Like Namecheap, Bluehost offers very affordable web hosting solutions for small businesses that need simple sites and complex e-commerce outfits alike. You can even get a free domain when signing up for some of their one-year plans.
Bluehost offers the following hosting packages:
- Shared: The most commonly used option by individuals and small-business owners alike. Includes e-commerce compatibility, WordPress integration and dedicated customer service for $7.99 per month.
- VPS: Upgrades from the Shared tier to provide a virtual private server, which adds a level of security and access for businesses that need more flexibility with how they use their server space. Costs $29.99 per month.
- Dedicated: Provides the utmost level of security and support for high-traffic websites. This is one of the best web hosting options for small businesses with robust e-commerce websites that need as much bandwidth and security as possible. Costs $119.99 per month.
3. HostGator: Best for tech-heavy businesses
If you need more from your site than just a place for customers to find you online, you might be looking at dedicated server hosting as your preferred method of managing and storing your website data. Should this sound like your situation, HostGator might be the best website hosting company for your small business.
For those who don’t know, dedicated server hosting means getting your own server within a company’s existing network. Instead of sharing server space with other websites, you’ll get your own dedicated server, as well as the software and customer service tools required to keep things running smoothly.
HostGator also offers more introductory-level hosting options as well, which are on par with other providers in terms of pricing and services.
Here’s what HostGator offers:
- Dedicated server plans: There are three tiers, each using Intel Xeon-D CPU servers. Plans also come with eight, 16 and 30 GB RAM options. All dedicated servers also include three dedicated IPv4 IPs, DDOS protection, unlimited databases, fully redundant network and 24/7/365 live support. Prices start at $118.99 per month.
- Shared web hosting business plan: Less intense and expensive than HostGator’s dedicated servers, which makes it a better fit for businesses with lighter needs for their websites. This plan includes unlimited domains, unmetered bandwidth, free SSL certificates, SEO tools and even a free business domain name. Prices start at $5.95 per month.
4. iPage: Best for businesses on a budget
Having a super-robust web host might be the only viable option for some business owners. But for others, a straightforward, simple and inexpensive option may be all that’s needed.
If you fall into the latter category, then iPage could be a great option for you. With iPage, you can opt for shared, VPS, dedicated or cloud hosting for your website needs. You’ll also get one-click installs of popular apps and CMS platforms and excellent customer service. Best of all, you won’t spend a fortune in the process.
Here are iPage’s product options:
- Web hosting: The leanest of iPage’s options, as well as the least expensive. Includes unlimited disk space and domain names, a free online store builder, email support, one-click installers and more for $7.99 per month.
- Business VPS hosting: Less intense and expensive than HostGator’s dedicated servers, which makes this plan a better fit for businesses with lighter needs for their websites. This plan includes unlimited domains, unmetered bandwidth, free SSL certificates, SEO tools and even a free domain for $59.49 per month.
5. InMotion: Best for unlimited bandwidth on a budget
Few web hosting companies provide unlimited bandwidth as part of their low-cost hosting options — this isn’t the case with InMotion, however.
InMotion’s hosting options include free SSL certificates too, which is a boon for businesses that want to explore e-commerce options while giving their customers a sense of security. This is a great suite of services at a reasonable price, which makes InMotion a strong contender as the best web hosting site for most small-business owners.
InMotion offers the following business-oriented products:
- Launch: Comes with a free domain, two free websites, 50 gigabytes of disk space and unlimited bandwidth, as well as 10 email accounts for $10.99 per month.
- Power: One free domain; 50 websites; 100 gigabytes of disk space, unlimited bandwidth and 50 email accounts; as well as other marketing and security tools, all for $14.99 per month.
- Pro: Free domain; 100 websites, 200 gigabytes disk space, unlimited bandwidth and email accounts; faster performance; pro-level support; and more for $23.99 per month.
6. Cloudways: Best for cloud-based web hosting
Cloud web hosting may be easy to come by these days, but few providers offer the same level of flexibility and customization that Cloudways provides for their clients. This host gives you the option to choose between five different cloud platforms, including Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform, which are considered among the most popular options around.
Better still, Cloudways doesn’t require users to sign up for a long-term contract either. You can set up a pay-as-you-go account or even go with a free trial — all without putting a credit card on file.
Prices vary depending on the cloud platform selected and support tier, all plans, however, include 24/7/365 support, free SSL, free migration, unlimited application installation, 24/7 real-time monitoring, free migration, team management, automated backups and more.
How to choose the best web hosting for small business
As you can see, there are many top web hosting options for small-business sites, and it can be difficult to discern the differences between them all. Each boasts top-of-class security, loads of storage, the capability to handle ample amounts of site traffic, web analytics tools and a slew of other features. But, at the same time, there can be slight differences between the best web hosting platforms that can help your small business in different ways.
You can begin the search process by considering your needs. A simple website that has little more than a page or two of information will not need tons of storage space. Nor will it need heavy-duty security features. More modest sites can usually get by with a less expensive, lean option. If, on the other hand, you’re running a major retail operation or a medical practice that has to store sensitive client information, expect to pay a lot more for a robust hosting solution.
Next, you’ll want to think about the long-term vision for your company. If you’re not doing much with your website, but want to expand its capabilities in the future, you’ll want to factor that into your decision-making process. A good web hosting company will have different support tiers that provide you with the right amount of support and storage space to grow with your website.
The final word
If you know what you need from your site, what your budget allows and what kind of platform can help you make the most of your site, you’re on your way toward picking the right host for your needs. To this point, you’ll want to keep a keen eye on pricing, support and add-on solutions — like website builders and e-commerce tools — to help you feel confident in making the right choice.
Plus, as we’ve seen, most of the top web design and hosting options for small businesses offer 24/7 customer support, among other resources. If you’re having trouble deciding which platform is best for your needs, you can reach out to different customer support representatives to learn more about their solutions and how they may or may not work for your business.